Tuesday 24 January 2023

Things I learnt from Bhagavad Gita

I wanted to read the Bhagavad Gita from a long time. It was in the back of my mind. And I heard the Hare krishna maha mantra when I visited ISCKON temple. It was etched in my mind. Somehow I kept hearing the Hare Krishna maha mantra frequently in my mind and it gave me sense of calmness and focus. I used to get the same feeling whenever I saw a person with Hare Krishna's forehead tilak it gave me a sense of calm and purity. 

The Bhagavad Gita, a sacred Hindu text, is considered to be one of the most important texts in Indian philosophy and is considered as one of the most important spiritual texts in Hinduism. It contains a wide range of teachings and advice on a variety of topics, from the nature of the self and the world, to the nature of action and the path to enlightenment.

When I started reading the Bhagavad Gita, it lifted a big heavy stone off my shoulder. I felt quite light and so many unwanted worries, negative thoughts, stress was taken off from my mind. I felt like a kid again. I stopped unwanted addictions like games, screen time, mindless scrolling and browsing. I got to know so many aspects of this world like:

why are we born,

what should be the goal of life

why we are born in a particular place and family, 

the cycle of births and deaths,

So many gods and demigods

Friends and family

How our spiritual advancements will not be affected.

Some of the most important advice from the Gita can be structurally summarized as:

The importance of duty and action: The Gita teaches that every person has a unique role to play in the world and it is important to fulfill one's duties and responsibilities in the world while remaining detached from the fruits of one's actions.

The importance of equanimity: The Gita teaches that it is important to maintain a state of equanimity, or inner peace, in the face of both success and failure. This equanimity is achieved by performing one's duties and remaining detached from the results.

The importance of devotion: The Gita teaches that devotion to a personal God or a divine principle is the key to reaching spiritual enlightenment. It is the act of devotion, not the object of devotion that is important.

The importance of self-control: The Gita teaches the importance of self-control and discipline. To achieve spiritual enlightenment, it is necessary to control the mind and the senses and not to be overwhelmed by the desires and attachments.

The importance of knowledge: The Gita emphasizes the importance of knowledge and wisdom to achieve enlightenment. It teaches that knowledge of the true nature of the self and the world is necessary to achieve liberation from the cycle of rebirth.

These are just a few examples of the many teachings contained in the Bhagavad Gita and the importance of each one may vary for each person. The text is considered as a spiritual guide and its teachings are meant to be studied, contemplated, and internalized over time.

And ultimately, how to get liberated from the cycle of births and deaths. Since this is Kali yuga and we live only for 100 years which is very less time to read, comprehend and understand everything in the scriptures and the Gita, it is mentioned the Gita itself that liberation is easier if we chant the Hare Krishna Maha mantra with genuine devotion and Bhakti.


No comments:

Post a Comment